On Reading #2


When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalatini
I'm still on my way through it.

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness 
My first piece from Ness. I've been seeing this for quite a while on Instagram and how people praised this beautiful work. When most people finished the book in one seating since it was really a light read, yet I could only complete it in two days. I could say that this book is indeed a beautiful book..
The story tells us about a boy who struggles with himself during his most difficult time in his life; dealing with the fact that his mother is going to die anytime soon. 
It was both beautiful and heartbreaking and I can't wait to read another work from this author again.

"Your mind will believe comforting lies while also knowing those painful truths that make those lie necessary. And your mind will punish you believing both."

The Diary of Young Girl by Anne Frank
"Although I'm only fourteen, I know quite well what I want, I know who is right and who is wrong. I have my opinions, my own ideas and principles, and although it may sound pretty mad from an adolescent, I feel more of a person than a child, I feel quiet independent of anyone." 
You know what, this is what I really had in my mind when I was 13-14ish. I thought I could do anything, I could be anyone without anyone's help - not even from my parents. I thought I was a person enough to know what I want in my life.
Now, I'm 22 and everytime I look back into that moment - there's two things I want to do to my 13-14ish-year-old self: to pinch my own ear and tell her on the face, "You know, Nerissa, you're only 14 now. Don't make me laugh."

But, still, whatever Anne and her whole family had to face was really terrible. Two years and a month spent in a very cramped space, I couldn't even imagine it.


"What's the point of the war? Why can't people live together peacefully? Why all this destruction?"

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Six out of five stars. Standing ovation. Hands down. All for this book.
I loved loved loved this book so much I have no idea where to start to tell which part is my favorite part. This is also a book about WWII when Nazi regime took over most of Europe.
I loved Liesell's character and how she developed her relationship toward everyone in the book; especially with her Mama and Max. Maybe you would think I'd cry at the end of the book, but I didn't. I felt numb, instead. It was so sad that I went numb, haha.

"Often I wish this would all be over, Liesel, but then somehow you do something like walk down the basement steps with a snowman in your hands."

P.S: may I tell you how much I loved the movie version of Max? He's the cutest. <3

Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix by Queen J.K Rowling
Yes, in order to celebrate two decades with Harry Potter, I decided to re-read and re-watch the entire series. But, the weird thing was, I started with this book, I didn't know why, I just had the feeling that I need to read this one first. So I did.
Then, it turned out my realisation, that I actually have never finished reading this one.
I didn't know that it was Umbridge who sent the Dementors to Privet Drive!!!
I didn't know about the conversation between Harry with Lupin and Sirius through Floo Network about James and Lily!!!
I didn't know that it was Kreacher! He lied about Sirius not being at home!!! That lead us all to Sirius' heartwrenching fate.
I didn't know about that magical blood bonding between Lily and Petunia who could save Harry's nose from Voldemort until he turns 17!!!
I didn't know that it was Dumbledore who sent Petunia the howler!!!!!!!

GOSH. Where have I been? Under the rock? Inside a cave? I feel so shameful.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K Rowling
YES YES YES FOR THIS 20th ANNIVERSARY EDITION. I bought mine in Gryffindor through I'm actually a Ravenclaw, but I couldn't help not buying this one first (I have a Gryffindor robe and a jumper too - not Ravenclaw).
I loved this version that it tells us more about Godric Gryffindor's history and more illustrations on it.

4 comments :

  1. Haha I love your Order of the Phoenix discoveries! I would actually be happy to realise that I hadn't finished reading the book, because I wish there was more HP stuff so badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noo I'm so ashamed why I just discovered everything now!? haha so horrible.

      Delete
  2. Oh I loved When Breath Becomes Air! I meant to read The Diary of a Young Girl several years ago, but with my ever-expanding TBR list, I never got around to it! // I read The Book Thief for school and loved it :D // It's been so long since I've read Harry Potter! I've forgotten a lot of the details, and a re-read of the series is probably due very soon. Wait wait I don't know anything about the 20th anniversary edition o.o So there's more stuff in it, specific to houses? :o -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard When Breath Becomes Air is really good book yet also a heartbreaking one. I'm struggling to finish it because I'm still in the mood for Harry Potter binge-rereading. And yes, Audrey! It's a 20th anniversary and Bloomsburry has published four different types of Philosopher's Stone which represent four different houses! Isn't it magical?!

      Delete