On Reading #1


London Belongs to Us by Sarra Manning (4.5/5)
My very first read in 2017. This book tells a story about a girl, named Sunny, who went all around London in one night trying to catch her cheating boyfriend with two of her French lads, Jean-Luc and Vic. And during her adventure night, she met a whole lot characters along the road she'd never dreamed of meeting. They are all funny, weird, quirky - all in a good way. I liked this book so much! It was such an easy read, I finished in one seating, and it was funny! I could find myself laughing at Sunny's spontaneity as well as the French twins' childish act. I loved it as well that this story speaks volume about girl-power. I mean, I'm still learning the concept about Feminism, and I think this book taught me better about it in some way. And as London being at the background, it's such a big plus point haha! I loved it that it felt like I was with them, going around the city with one of the twins' motorbike, to Camden, Shoreditch, Soho, Crystal Palace, and there is even Waterloo Station in the book! Oh how it reminds me of my old school. 
If you want some light reading, I strongly recommend this one! 

My favorite from the book: 
"London is always changing but it will always be a place where you can have adventures, make new friends, change your story, change your life."

I don't know about you, but I decided to pick up this book because I read from the synopsis that it's about Mim who travels across the country to meet her dying mother on her own by bus in the middle of her parent's divorce. The story about a mental health and how she dealt with it. I mean, I loved this book in some parts, but I struggled really hard finishing it. The story developed so so slowly and even though they said the author is the next John Green, I could find myself got so bored dealing with all the character she met along the journey. 

But I really loved how Mim describing herself:
"I am a collection of oddities, a circus of neurons and electrons: my heart is the ringmaster, my soul is the trapeze artist, and the world is my audience. It sounds strange because it is, and it is, because I am strange."

I often get called weird in my whole life, I don't know why, maybe because I always get a bit too excited on many little things, maybe because I often ask many things about the universe, maybe because I like to travel alone, maybe because I often go off-beaten path - a lot of possibilities. And this 'I am a collection of oddities..' is like 'well, I know I'm weird' in more beautiful, gorgeous kind of way and I like it haha.

AH this book, how do I begin? 
Well, I picked up this book last Wednesday. It was kind of impulsive buying since I really need to grab myself a paperback after so much reading on the Kindle app, and I picked up this English paperback version because I like it more than the American one. I'm 60% biased here but the rest is because I like it how there's Werner on the cover (that boy must be Werner, right?). 
This was my very first book about world war, I've never interested reading in historical fiction actually, I thought it would be boring.
But, oh my gosh, I'm so glad I finally picked up this book. 
This is a parallel story within two children during World War II, Marie-Laure who is French and blind and Werner, who is German and an orphan. It was so beautifully written and I could totally able so immersed in the way the author explains Paris and Saint Malo during the war. The way he writes about Paris and Saint Malo, the way he writes about Papa, Madame Manec and Uncle Etienne, also Werner the poor boy, from Marie-Laure's own perspective while she is blind, it's so hauntingly beautiful it's like I'm Marie-Laure herself and I totally could picture these side characters inside my brain.
It was like living my own life in between chaos of the war.
I couldn't imagine living a life like that. 
This was such a beautiful book, really. And I'm so glad I finished this book in, well, four days, and now I can't wait to read more books about WW. I'm planning to pick up The Book Thief and I'm so open to anyone's recommendation!

My favorite:
"Your problem, Werner," says Frederick, "is that you still believe you own your life."

But, why 4.9?
Because I hate what happened to Werner! It was so unfair!!!!!!!!!! 

No comments :

Post a Comment